OHEN is an inclusive, statewide, nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting all of Oregon's homeschooling families. OHEN supports the right of all homeschoolers to educate their children with as little government intervention as possible. Celebrating the diversity within our homeschooling community, OHEN welcomes any person without regard to educational philosophy, religion, creed, race, color, gender, or ethnic or national origin.
What We Do
OHEN encourages networking and communication among homeschooling families. OHEN works with various homeschooling support groups and libraries around the state to help prospective and current homeschoolers find the support, resources, and information that are so vital to their success as their children's primary educators.
OHEN follows state legislative activity and local and national trends that might affect homeschooling. OHEN volunteers try to be vigilant in keeping families informed in order to protect the natural right of parents to educate their children.
- OHEN sponsors a statewide convention and occasional workshops
- OHEN supports homeschoolers through e-mail and phone helplines
- OHEN sponsors an annual homeschool prom and other dances
- OHEN maintains a website and an e-group for members
Board of Directors
The OHEN Board meets quarterly and is comprised entirely of volunteer homeschooling parents. Our meetings are always open to OHEN members.
Serving on the Board is a great way to support our homeschooling community. Board members are asked to serve a two-year term and attend at least three meetings each year.
- President: Alison Jakel
- Vice-President: Bobbi Burton
- Secretary: Phyllis Nakayama
- Treasurers: Carol Pitkin & Mai Lon Ross
- Event Coordinator: Diana McIntosh
- Information Coordinator: Stephanie Nystrom
- Outreach Coordinator: Rosalyn Newhouse
Not Board Members but serving a vital role for OHEN:
- Legislative Liaison: Barbara Smythe
- Legislative Consultant: Amy Grant
- Helpline Coordinators: Carol Rulla & Gina Guzman
- PR/Media Coordinator: Tara Atkinson
- Volunteer Coordinator: Nieves Grossman
Anyone interested in serving on the Board should send a letter of interest to OHEN at P.O. Box 82715, Portland, OR 97282-0715. If you have any questions or would like more information, leave a message on the OHEN voicemail line: 503-321-5166; or e-mail us at email@example.com.