OHEN is an inclusive, statewide, nonprofit organization dedicated to
supporting all of Oregon's homeschooling families. OHEN supports the right
of all homeschoolers to educate their children with as little government
intervention as possible. Celebrating the diversity within our homeschooling
community, OHEN welcomes any person without regard to educational
philosophy, religion, creed, race, color, gender, or ethnic or national origin.
What We Do
OHEN encourages networking and communication among homeschooling families.
OHEN works with various homeschooling support groups and libraries around the state to
help prospective and current homeschoolers find the support, resources, and
information that are so vital to their success as their children's primary
OHEN follows state legislative activity and local and national trends that
might affect homeschooling. OHEN volunteers try to be vigilant in keeping
families informed in order to protect the natural right of parents to
educate their children.
Board of Directors
- OHEN sponsors a statewide convention and occasional workshops
- OHEN supports homeschoolers through e-mail and phone helplines
- OHEN sponsors an annual homeschool prom and other dances
- OHEN maintains a website and an e-group for members
The OHEN Board meets quarterly and is comprised entirely of volunteer
homeschooling parents. Our meetings are always open to OHEN members.
Serving on the Board is a great way to support our homeschooling community.
Board members are asked to serve a two-year term and attend at least three
meetings each year.
Not Board Members but serving a vital role for OHEN:
- President: Alison Jakel
- Vice-President: Bobbi Burton
- Secretary: Phyllis Nakayama
- Treasurers: Carol Pitkin & Mai Lon Ross
- Event/Convention Coordinator: Diana McIntosh
- Information Coordinator: Stephanie Nystrom
- Outreach Coordinator: Rosalyn Newhouse
- Legislative Liaison: Barbara Smythe
- Legislative Consultant: Amy Grant
- Helpline Coordinators: Carol Rulla & Gina Guzman
- PR/Media Coordinator: Tara Atkinson
- Volunteer Coordinator: Nieves Grossman
Anyone interested in serving on the Board should send a letter of interest to OHEN at P.O. Box 82715, Portland, OR 97282-0715. If you have any
questions or would like more information, leave a message on the OHEN voicemail line: 503-321-5166; or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Become an OHEN Member