2013 Legislative Session
House Bill 3446 had a Public Hearing on Apr 8, 2013. HB 3446 would remove the standardized testing and reporting requirements to which homeschoolers are still subject but other privately educated children are not. HB 3446 is sponsored by Representative Barker and Senator Starr, at the request of Oregon Home Education Network (OHEN) and Oregon Christian Education Association Network (OCEANetwork).
To read the content of HB 3446, go here.
The Statutes and Administrative Rules governing Oregon homeschoolers are available on the OHEN website: http://www.ohen.org/oregon/legal
To find your state legislator, go to http://www.leg.state.or.us/findlegsltr/ enter your street address, and then scroll down the resulting list to the last two entries, which will be your state Senator and state Representative.
Tips for contacting legislators
Information addressing common concerns:
- Home Education Scholastic Outcomes
- Compulsory Attendance Laws
- Truants "Masquerading" as Homeschoolers
- Concerns About Children Falling Through The Cracks
- Identifying and Addressing Learning Disorders
- Standardized Testing and Its Victims, by Alfie Kohn
- The Need for Deregulation of Homeschooling, written by a 16 year old homeschooler